Until further notice, we are only offering shadowing to indviduals with a Providence sponsor for roles marked with an *. If you are interested in a role marked with an * and you do NOT have a sponsor, please check back later.
Thank you for your interest in job shadowing with us! Providence Inland Northwest Washington offers job shadowing opportunities to compliment classroom studies and/or help prepare individuals for graduate studies or future work. Please take time to read through this page and if we have something that sounds like a good match and you are able to meet the requirements, please click Apply from the main menu and complete the Observation Application.
- Biomedical Engineering: Opportunities available to individuals ages 16+ who are interested in exploring a career as a biomedical technician.
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation*: This program provides support for cardiac and pulmonary patients and their families through exercise, education, counseling, and medical oversite. One 4-hour experience may be offered to individuals considering a career in excercise science/kinesiology or related field (e.g., exercise physiologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, registered dietitian) or respiratory therapy.
- Genetic Counseling: Preference given to college students who are considering, or planning to apply to, a genetic counseling program. Up to two 8-hour weekday shifts (ideally Monday and/or Thursday) may be offered, depending on capacity of genetic counselors to host a shadowing experience.
- Imaging**: We DO NOT offer observations in nuclear medicine, radiology, sonography, and ultrasound; however, a volunteer position may satisfy most/all program prerequisites. If you are strictly interested in shadowing, DO NOT complete an application through this site. Instead, contact Inland Imaging for information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 509-363-4205. If you are interested in a volunteer position, and able to fulfull a 75-hour/six-month commitment, please complete a volunteer application via the Apply menu.
- Laboratory*: As of today, opportunities at Mount Carmel Hospital only (and must already have a sponsor).
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): Applications are considered from individuals ages 18+ who are exploring a career as a NICU nurse. It is intended to give a glimpse into the day in the life of a NICU nurse and the emotional and physical demands of caring for seriously ill and premature infants in an intensive care environment. This is strictly an observational experience and individuals will NEVER hold an infant while job shadowing.
- Occupational Therapy*: Limited opportunities; however, a volunteer position in one of the therapy gyms at Providence St. Luke's Rehabilitation Medical Center satisifies OT and OTA program hours of experience prerequisites. Please note that volunteers in good standing, who have served at least 60 hours, are given preference for observation hours. In general, experiences are limited to one 4-hour observation.
- Physical Therapy*: Limited opportunities; however, a volunteer position in one of the therapy gyms at Providence St. Luke's Rehabilitation Medical Center satisifies DPT and PTA program hours of experience prerequisites. Please note that volunteers in good standing, who have served at least 60 hours, are given preference for observation hours. In general, experiences are limited to one 4-hour observation.
- Physician (ARNP, DMD, DO, MD, or PA)**: If you are interested in shadowing a physician, DO NOT complete an application through this site. Requests must come from an active staff member to the Medical Staff Services department; students are not matched with a sponsoring physician. If you have a sponsoring physician, please contact Medical Staff Services by emailing SHMC&HFHMedicalStaffOffices@providence.org or calling (509) 474-3052.
- Recreational Therapy*
- Speech Therapy
*Until further notice, you must already have a Providence employee who is willing to be your sponsor to apply for an observation experience. If you do not have a sponsor, please check back later and/or visit the Volunteer Opportunities page on this website as we may have a volunteer position that satisifies your observation requirements.
**These roles are NOT coordinated through this site. Please see the role description above for more information.
- Age: At least 16 to 18 years old, depending on department/role.
- Background check: Able to pass a criminal background check through the Washington State Patrol.
- Education: Varies by department/role but in general, we welcome applications from students and non-students interested in a health sciences or related career.
- Health: COVID-19 vaccination is required. Depending on the service you would like to shadow, a tuberculosis test that's current within 12 months may also be required and/or proof of immunzation against hepatitis B (Hep B), influenza (flu), measles/mumps/rubella (MMR), tetanus/diphtheria/pertssis (Tdap) and/or varicella (chickenpox).
EXPLORE CAREERS WITH PROVIDENCE
- Jobs: Visit https://www.providenceiscalling.jobs to learn more about and apply for jobs with Providence.
- Short-term/temp jobs: Work as little or as much as you want. Apply to become an agency staff member with Providence through CareRev. Positions include RNs, CNAs, and certified surgical technologists.
- Training: Gain on-the-job work experience, classroom education, and clinical training at Providence, through the several education programs, included Certified Nursing Assistant (NAC), Medical Assistant (MA)*, and more! *2023 classes scheduled to begin March 3, August 4, and November 10. Applications will be available through our career portal about six week prior to class start dates.
- How are applicants selected? Applicants are selected based on application responses, availability of opportunities, and always at the hosting leader's discretion.
- Do I need to be a student to apply? No. In addition to current students or recent graduates of programs in the health sciences or related fields, we welcome applications from individuals who plan to apply in the near future to a health sciences program or related field, from Providence caregivers interested in pursuing a career goal and/or considering another path, and from scholars interested in advancing their understanding of the work we do at Providence.
- When will I be notified of my application status? Our goal is to notify applicants of approval status as soon as possible and ideally within a few business days. However, it may take up to several weeks to process an application.
- How will I be notified that my application has been approved or rejected? You will be notified by email. If your application is approved, the email will include instructions for completing the requirements that must be met before you may begin shadowing.
- My application has been approved and I completed all requirements. What's next? You will receive an email detailing the terms of your assignment and your sponsor will be in touch by email or phone to schedule your experience.
- May Providence caregivers apply for a job shadowing experience? Yes! Caregivers must be in good standing, have the approval of their core leader, and the experience must take place outside of scheduled hours. Please note that core leaders are not expected to adjust schedules to accomodate a shadowing experience.
- May Providence volunteers apply for a job shadowing experience? Yes! Volunteers must be in good standing and depending on requested area, may also be required to meet a set minimum number of volunteer hours.
- May I participate in patient care during a shadowing experience? No, regardless of experience and/or credentials, this experience is observational only.
- How many times may I shadow? Up to four times, if in good standing, but no more than once per quarter, unless a special exemption is granted.
- How long does each experience last? Length of experience is up to the hosting leader's discretion but in general, each experience may be up to eight hours, unless a special exemption is granted.
- Which departments/services DO NOT offer shadowing? Not all departments have the capacity to offer shadowing and/or placement may be reserved for interns or graduate students. Although subject to change, we are not able to arrange observations in several areas, including with childlife specialists and in surgery/operating rooms.