This page is under construction and until further notice, we are only offering job shadows to internal candidates. Please check back later. Thanks!
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation: This program provides support for cardiac and pulmonary patients and their families through exercise, education, counseling, and medical oversite. Observations of up to (4) hours may be offered to individuals considering a career in excercise science/kinesiology or related field (e.g., exercise physiologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, registered dietitian) or respiratory therapy.
- Case Management (RN)
- Genetic Counseling: Preference given to college students who are considering, or planning to apply to, a genetic counseling program. Up to two 8-hour weekday shifts (ideally Monday and/or Thursday) may be offered, depending on capacity of genetic counselors to host a shadowing experience.
- Imaging: Observations in nuclear medicine, radiology, sonography, and ultrasound are NOT offered; however, a volunteer position may satisfy most/all program prerequisites. If you are strictly interested in shadowing, do NOT complete an application through this site. Instead, contact Inland Imaging for information by emailing email@example.com or calling 509-363-4205. If you are interested in a volunteer position, and able to fulfull a 75-hour/six-month commitment, please complete a volunteer application via the Apply menu.
- Occupational Therarpy: Limited opportunities; however, a volunteer position in one of the therapy gyms at Providence St. Luke's Rehabilitation Medical Center satisifies OT and OTA program hours of experience prerequisites. Please note that volunteers in good standing, who have served at least 60 hours, are given preference for observation hours.
- Physcial Therapy: Limited opportunities; however, a volunteer position in one of the therapy gyms at Providence St. Luke's Rehabilitation Medical Center satisifies DPT and PTA program hours of experience prerequisites. Please note that volunteers in good standing, who have served at least 60 hours, are given preference for observation hours.
- Physician: If you are interested in shadowing a physician, do NOT complete an application through this site. Requests must come from an active staff member to the Medical Staff Services department; students are not matched with a sponsoring physician. If you have a sponsoring physician, please contact Medical Staff Services by emailing SHMC&HFHMedicalStaffOffices@providence.org or calling (509) 474-3052.
- Recreational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Age: At least 16 to 18 years old, depending on department/role.
- Background check: Able to pass a criminal background check through the Washington State Patrol.
- Education: Varies by department/role.
- Health: COVID-19 vaccination is required. Depending on the service you would like to shadow, a tuberculosis test that's current within 12 months may also be required and/or proof of immunzation against hepatitis B (Hep B), influenza (flu/annual), measles/mumps/rubella (MMR), tetanus/diphtheria/pertssis (Tdap) and/or varicella (chickenpox).
- How are applicants selected? Applicants are selected based on application responses, availability of opportunities, and always at the hosting leader's discretion.
- May Providence caregivers apply for a job shadowing experience? Yes! Caregivers must be in good standing, have the approval of their core leader, and the experience must take place outside of scheduled hours. Please note that core leaders are not expected to adjust schedules to accomodate a shadowing experience.
- When will I be notified of my application status? Our goal is to notify applicants of approval status as soon as possible and ideally within a few business days. However, it may take up to several weeks to process an application.
- How will I be notified that my application has been approved or rejected? You will be notified by email.
- May I participate in patient care during a shadowing experience? No, regardless of experience and/or credentials, this experience is observational only.
- How many times may I shadow? Up to (4) times, if in good standing, but no more than once per quarter, unless a special exemption is granted.
- How long does each experience last? Length of experience is up to the hosting leader's discretion but in general, each experience may be up to (8) hours, unless a special exemption is granted.
- Which departments/services do NOT offer shadowing? Not all departments have the capacity to offer shadowing and/or placement may be reserved for interns or graduate students. Although subject to change, we are not able to arrange observations in several areas, including with childlife specialists and in operating rooms.
- May I shadow a member of my family? No.